Condoms have a 10-36% failure rate in preventing pregnancy. And a 31% failure rate of preventing HIV/AIDS. They are not a foolproof method of STD (Sexually Transmitted Diseases) prevention as many STD's can be transmitted by skin-to-skin contact. Other methods of birth control have NO protection from STD or HIV/AIDS.
We want you to know that the NJWC offers STD (Sexually Transmitted Diseases) testing for men.
Please contact the NJWC for more information about STDs and STD testing or to make an appointment.
There are some questions a guy needs to ask himself before becoming sexually active or continuing sexual activity.
- If your girlfriend became pregnant would you leave her?
- Are you ready to support a child with your time, energy and money for at least the next 18 years?
- Will you go with your girlfriend to tell her parents the news?
- Are you willing to give your child a two-parent family?
- Legally you have no control over the choice your girlfriend makes with the baby. She may decide to parent the baby or to have an abortion…in either case are you prepared to live with that decision for the rest of your life?
- Would you be willing to make an adoption plan for your child?
- Are you willing to learn all about abortion so that you can anticipate possible medical complications and possible relationship problems?
If you think that your girlfriend may be pregnant, we want you to know that the North Jefferson Women's Center has a wealth of resources and information that specifically address your needs as a man. We can provide you with accurate information and practical support regarding issues such as:
- Pregnancy options
- Rights and responsibilities of fathers
- How to become an effective father
- Establishing paternity
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- How to support the baby's mother
- Continuing your education
The decisions you make today will affect you for the rest of your life. So, get the information that you and your girlfriend need. At the North Jefferson Women's Center, we can help answer your questions and provide you with factual information so that you can make an informed decision.
This information on this website is intended for general education purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for professional and/or medical advice.